Indoor Volleyball01 September - 31st May
Our indoor season runs from September through to the end of May. The Berkshire Volleyball League starts from mid-October.
Spikeopaths run a club training session on Tuesday evenings from 7.30pm to 9.30pm Maiden Erlegh School in Reading throughout the indoor season. The sessions are open to both ladies and men of all volleyball abilities. A club night consists of:
- Warm-up and stretching
- 15 minutes warm up
- 5 minutes of volleyball dynamic stretching
- 5-10 min hitting
- 30 minutes of drills – each session will concentrate on one of the below
- 1 hour of games
- Players will be split into even teams and, depending on numbers, we will play games on rotation
Mens / Ladies sessions (invite only)
Our club currently has 1 ladies teams, 1 mens teams and 2 mixed teams, all playing in the Berkshire Volleyball League. Training sessions are as follow:
- Men’s training every Wednesday between 7:30 and 9:30pm
- Ladies training every Thursday between 7:30 and 9:30pm
Team sessions are by invite only. If this is something you are keen to get into then come along to our Tuesday sessions and speak to the coach or a committee member that evening.
How to join
Joining Spikeopaths is easy. You can simply turn up to our next Club Night session (no invite necessary) – if you could just let our coaches know you’re coming by emailing the Club, that will be great! Our club is based on volunteers coaching the sessions so we’ll do our best to give you any necessary coaching you need – also please ask if there’s anything you’d like to know or that is confusing.
Where we play
All of our sessions are hosted at Maiden Erlegh School in Reading. There are two Maiden Erlegh schools in the Reading area, make sure you go to the new school in Reading (map link below). Also, why not sign up to the club mailing list to keep up to date of any changes.
First session free!
If you’d like to give volleyball a try or you’ve played before and have moved to the Reading or Berkshire area then we will give you your first session free to come along and give our club a go. Once you try, we’re sure you’ll get hooked…most people do!
What to wear
If you are new to volleyball and would like to join in, then we recommend investing in the following equipment:
- Court Shoes – Regular trainers are ok but actual volleyball trainers provide the best support.
- Knee pads – If you plan to play regularly we recommend investing in some knee pads to protect your knees.
- Sports Shorts – Ideally stretchable material to allow you to bend your knees.
- Sports Top
Is there anything I can do to prepare?
If you are brand new to volleyball then it’s worth spending some time getting to grips with the volleyball terms. We’d recommend a couple of websites, Volleyball 101 tips and The Art of Coaching Volleyball for some great resources and videos on drills and technique.
Anything else I need to know?
Some people say it’s the most important part of volleyball…the social part! Occasionally, after a volleyball session, a few people will head to the nearest pub for a thirst quencher before heading home. Make sure you bring some pennies for a well deserved refreshment!
We also recommend the following:
- Add our calendar feed to your calendar
- Add yourself to the Spikeopaths mailing list
- Join the Spikeopaths Facebook group
- Take a look at our photo gallery to see our most recent snaps and how much fun you could have!
If you would like to keep up to date on sessions and social events then subscribe to our club mailing list.
You can also request to join us on our Facebook Page to keep up to date with any match results, interesting volleyball reads and social activities.